Download Module-2 EPM 18CV753 Environment Protection And Management 7th Semester VTU Notes Pdf
|EPM(Environment Protection And Management)
(Effective from the academic year 2018 -2019)
SEMESTER – 7th
|Course Code||18CV753||CIE Marks||40|
|Number of Contact Hours/Week||2:2:0||SEE Marks||60|
|Total Number of Contact Hours||08||Exam Hours||03
Environmental Management Objectives:
Environmental quality objectives – Rationale of Environmental standards: Concentration and Mass standards, Effluent and stream standards, Emission and ambient standards, Minimum national standards, environmental performance evaluation: Indicators, benchmarking. Pollution control Vs Pollution Prevention – Opportunities and Barriers – Cleaner production and Clean technology, closing the loops, zero discharge technologies.
After studying this course, students will be able to:
1. Appreciate the elements of Corporate Environmental Management systems complying to international environmental management system standards.
2. Lead pollution prevention assessment team and implement waste minimization options.
3. Develop, Implement, maintain and Audit Environmental Management systems for Organizations.
Question paper pattern:
- The question paper will have ten full questions carrying equal marks.
- Each full question will be for 20 marks.
- There will be two full questions (with a maximum of four sub- questions) from each module.
- Each full question will have sub- question covering all the topics under a module.
- The students will have to answer five full questions, selecting one full question from each module.
1. Christopher Sheldon and Mark Yoxon, “Installing Environmental management Systems – a step by step guide” Earthscan Publications Ltd, London, 1999.
2. ISO 14001/14004: Environmental management systems – Requirements and Guidelines – International Organisation for Standardisation, 2004
3. ISO 19011: 2002, “Guidelines for quality and/or Environmental Management System auditing, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi, 2002
4. Paul L Bishop „Pollution Prevention: Fundamentals and Practice, McGraw- Hill International, Boston, 2000.
5. Environmental Management Systems: An Implementation Guide for Small and Medium-Sized Organizations, Second Edition, NSF International, Ann Arbor, Michigan, January 2001.