Lecture Notes on Software Testing (18IS62)
(Effective from the academic year 2018 -2019) SEMESTER – VI
|Course Code||18IS62||CIE Marks||40|
|Number of Contact Hours/Week||3:2:0||SEE Marks||60|
|Total Number of Contact Hours||50||Exam Hours||03|
|Course Learning Objectives: This course (18IS62) will enable students to:|
|· Differentiate the various testing techniques
· Analyze the problem and derive suitable test cases.
· Apply suitable technique for designing of flow graph
· Explain the need for planning and monitoring a process
|Integration and Component-Based Software Testing: Overview, Integration testing strategies, Testing components and assemblies. System, Acceptance and Regression Testing: Overview, System testing, Acceptance testing, Usability, Regression testing, Regression test selection techniques, Test case prioritization and selective execution. Levels of Testing, Integration Testing: Traditional view of testing levels, Alternative life-cycle models, The SATM system, Separating integration and system testing, A closer look at the SATM system, Decomposition-based, call graph-based, Path-based integrations.
T2: Chapter 21 & 22, T1 : Chapter 12 & 13 RBT: L1, L2, L3
|Course Outcomes: The student will be able to :|
|· Derive test cases for any given problem
· Compare the different testing techniques
· Classify the problem into suitable testing model
· Apply the appropriate technique for the design of flow graph.
· Create appropriate document for the software artefact.
|Question Paper Pattern:|
|· The question paper will have ten questions.
· Each full Question consisting of 20 marks
· There will be 2 full questions (with a maximum of four sub questions) from each module.
· Each full question will have sub questions covering all the topics under a module.
· The students will have to answer 5 full questions, selecting one full question from each module.
|1. Paul C. Jorgensen: Software Testing, A Craftsman’s Approach, 3rd Edition, Auerbach Publications, 2008. (Listed topics only from Chapters 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 12, 13)
2. Mauro Pezze, Michal Young: Software Testing and Analysis – Process, Principles and Techniques, Wiley India, 2009. (Listed topics only from Chapters 3, 4, 16, 17, 20,21, 22,24)
3. Aditya P Mathur: Foundations of Software Testing, Pearson Education, 2008.( Listed topics only
from Section 1.2 , 1.3, 1.4 ,1.5, 1.8,1.12,6. 2.1,6. 2.4 )
|1. Software testing Principles and Practices – Gopalaswamy Ramesh, Srinivasan Desikan, 2 nd Edition, Pearson, 2007.
2. Software Testing – Ron Patton, 2nd edition, Pearson Education, 2004.
3. The Craft of Software Testing – Brian Marrick, Pearson Education, 1995.
4. Anirban Basu, Software Quality Assurance, Testing and Metrics, PHI, 2015.
5. Naresh Chauhan, Software Testing, Oxford University press.