Download Crypto18CS744 Module-1 Cryptography VTU Notes 7th Semester pdf, Download Module-1 Crypto 18CS744 Cryptography 7th Semester VTU Notes Pdf
(Effective from the academic year 2018 -2019)
SEMESTER – 7th
|Course Code||18CS744||CIE Marks||40|
|Number of Contact Hours/Week||2:2:0||SEE Marks||60|
|Total Number of Contact Hours||08||Exam Hours||03
Classical Encryption Techniques
Symmetric Cipher Model, Cryptography, Cryptanalysis and Brute-Force Attack, Substitution Techniques, Caesar Cipher, Monoalphabetic Cipher, Playfair Cipher, Hill Cipher, Polyalphabetic Cipher, One Time Pad.
Block Ciphers and the data encryption standard:
Traditional block Cipher structure, stream Ciphers and block Ciphers, Motivation for the feistel Cipher structure, the feistel Cipher, The data encryption standard, DES encryption, DES decryption, A DES example, results, the avalanche effect, the strength of DES, the use of 56-Bit Keys, the nature of the DES algorithm, timing attacks, Block cipher design principles, number of rounds, design of function F, key schedule algorithm
Textbook 1: Ch. 2.1,2.2, Ch. 3
RBT: L1, L2
The students should be able to:
- Define cryptography and its principles
- Explain Cryptography algorithms
- Illustrate Public and Private key cryptography
- Explain Key management, distribution and ceritification
- Explain authentication protocols
- Tell about IPSec
Question paper pattern:
- The question paper will have ten questions.
- There will be 2 questions from each module.
- Each question will have questions covering all the topics under a module.
- The students will have to answer 5 full questions, selecting one full question from each module.
1. William Stallings: Cryptography and Network Security, Pearson 6th edition.
1. V K Pachghare: Cryptography and Information Security, PHI 2nd Edition