How to Do KYC for Mutual Fund Online
KYC or Know Your Customer is a mandatory process that financial institutions are required to undertake before they can onboard any customer. This process ensures that the financial institution knows its customers and is in compliance with anti-money laundering and counter-terrorism financing regulations. If you are planning to invest in mutual funds in India, you will need to complete your KYC process first. In this article, we will guide you on how to do KYC for mutual funds online.
Steps to Do KYC for Mutual Fund Online
- Choose a KYC Registration Agency (KRA) The first step in completing your KYC for mutual funds online is to choose a KRA. KRAs are authorized by the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) to carry out KYC registration of investors. You can choose any of the five KRAs available in India – CDSL Ventures Limited, CAMS KRA, Karvy KRA, NSDL Database Management Limited, and DotEx International Limited.
- Create an Account After selecting the KRA of your choice, visit their website and create an account by providing your personal details such as name, email address, and phone number. You will also need to set a password.
- Provide Personal Details Once you have created an account, you will be asked to fill in your personal details such as name, date of birth, and address. Make sure to enter your details accurately as any mistakes can lead to your application being rejected.
- Upload Documents After providing your personal details, you will need to upload your KYC documents such as PAN card, Aadhaar card, and address proof. Make sure to scan your documents clearly and ensure that they are in the correct format before uploading.
- Complete Video KYC Many KRAs now offer Video KYC (VKYC) facilities, which allow you to complete your KYC process without having to physically visit their offices. To complete VKYC, you will need to have a smartphone with a good camera and a stable internet connection.
- Verification and Approval After submitting your documents and completing the VKYC process, the KRA will verify your details and documents. Once your KYC is approved, you will receive a confirmation via email and SMS.
- Link Your KYC with Your Mutual Fund Investments After your KYC is approved, you will need to link your KYC status with your mutual fund investments. You can do this by providing your KYC details to your mutual fund provider or by linking your KYC through the online portal of the mutual fund provider.
Completing your KYC for mutual funds online is a simple and convenient process. By choosing any of the five authorized KRAs in India and following the steps mentioned above, you can complete your KYC process quickly and efficiently. Once your KYC is approved, you can start investing in mutual funds and grow your wealth.